Training Medical Center
Sustainability and Hope in health care.
After 5 years working in Burkina Faso, in short-term health projects, and to ensure the sostenibility of the health projects, we see the need of having our own health and logistics center.
We analized and considered different locations to build the center, and finally we concluded that the best place was Boulmiougou, one of the poorest districts of Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso. The district population is about 457,798 Boulmiogou inhabitants. In this place the rates of morbidity and mortality are very high. The main causes of mortality are: malaria, tuberculosis, AIDS, respiratory diseases, pathology of the skin (leprosy), ENT diseases, ophthalmology, oral and genital and urinary tracts. Children under 5 years are the most affected group by these diseases.
Is noteworthy that Meningitis, for example, in 2007 recorded 2.851 cases with 128 deaths and also a high deafness percentage (DS source / Boulmiogou, the statistics office).
The medical logistic needs of this district are enormous. It has only three little medical centers, just potential for minor surgery. Of these three, only one of them works. Most people have no access to health care.
emsimision has purchased a land of 8.632 m2 to build the Training Medical Center (TMC). This place is strategically well located at 200 metres of a paved road, with good communication possibilities and basic resources (internet, water, electricity) plus the cultural variety around. The execution of this project will be carried out jointly with the Foundation for Development Lleida (FLS). Its president Ramiro Muñoz i Alamàn, and the architect Eugènia Rodríguez Segarra, traveled together to Burkina last April to start working in the design of the Multifunctional Center.
The purposes of the Mcmission’s TMC will be:
- Being a Medical Center dedicated to take care of the medical-surgical diseases of great need in Boulmiogou.
- Invest in technology and professional human capacity in order to provide the highest quality in every one of the medical or surgical treatment to be carried out.
- Being a Medical Center that capacitates and gives specialized training for advanced students in their final years of Medical Schools in Burkina Faso.
- Being a Medical Center with a high commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility, which is implemented through social projects aimed at providing health care to people from Burkina, who are suffering extreme poverty or clear situations of great need.
- The location of the Mcmission offices in Burkina.
- The Reception of the International Cooperation Teams that will be serving in Boulmiougou, in short or long term, in each of the health social projects developed in the framework of international conventions and protocols and inter-sectoral collaboration.
- Being the Logistics Center for the Mobile Health Units (UMSI)
- Being a Warehouse for the management of container shipment of the humanitarian supplies